Tuesday 20 May 2014

We too get bullied, even though we are the "top dogs"

Yes, it is true...my beloved friend and associate and I are sometimes bullying victims as well.  Not in the sense that you might think.  Allow me to explain.

Bullying is rife in our society.  I have been involved in this fight since 2011 - my knowledge on the subject is vast and deep, I can say the same of my associate. We are also legal practitioners, with specific skills and knowledge afforded to us through studies and practice.  This is by no means an ego trip - it is fact.

We work very hard, every day to help people work through their pain, to ensure that bad things do not happen again, to share our knowledge, to make a difference.  We are in the industry of service delivery, of course.  We aim to please.  Of course.  How far does this go?

We get bullied by people often in terms of our service, our know how and our position on certain aspects of law, bullying and such.  We are by no means victims - we do not sit back and take it, no, but people still feel that they have the right to be mean, that you are in their service and that you owe them.

People often ask us for help and advice not wanting to pay anything.  We are not in the business of daylight robbery.  But we can't work on a no pay basis either.  People become rude.  We do not only offer our expertise, we offer our time.  People suck up and steal this without thinking twice.  We try as best we can to stay friendly and professional - amidst people wanting more, asking more questions, leeching up our most precious possession: intellectual property.

We cannot save the whole world - we cannot answer every question.  We aren't robots.  You aren't the only person out there.  We have families and other obligations as well.  I am not on call 24/7, neither is my associate.  Not for No More Bullies, Mediation Corner or personal leeching or legal advice.

If you contact me with regard to a problem, be nice. You can also be a little patient.  Don't be a bully.  We don't do instant gratification - we do our utmost best to help everyone in the best and most professional way we can.

If for some reason you can not do this - please feel free to contact someone else.  It is my personal position that I will not have a lower quality life just to assist more bullies :)

In closing:  be nice, set the example...you can't contact me about bullying and end up bullying me, or call me a friend and try to bulldoze me or guilt trip me into a corner to help you - that is not friendship.

“But remember, boy, that a kind act can sometimes be as powerful as a sword.” 
― Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth


No comments:

Post a Comment